Monday, September 17, 2012

Fundraisers

I think I have discovered my least favorite thing in the world; school fundraisers.  I know every school has them but ours seems to have a lot of them.  This month we are supposed to go out and ask for donations from different companies like a gift card to dinner or movie tickets so we can put them together and auction them off at our school carnival thing.  Then we get to walk around our neighborhood and ask people to pledge money to our kids that are running in the school race.  Caroline also gets to sell magazines to our neighbors that 40% of the profits go to her gifted program.  And want to guess how much we are going to do?  None, zero, nada.  Its not that I don't support the school its that I HATE asking people who already pay taxes to give money to a school they have no kids at.  I will happily give some money to the school  and pledge money to Caroline when she runs but if we are really that hard up for money for the school I would so much rather raise taxes then beg for money from people.  If we were selling something good sure maybe we'd do it but magazines?  Come on the only thing people will actually buy when selling things door to door are Girl Scout cookies.  So unless we can strike some deal with them I'm out.  Am I the only parent who doesn't like this stuff?

5 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

I don't have kids who do fundraisers yet, but have never really liked them. They always sell a bunch of crap. BUT 1 fundraiser that I love is the World's Best Chocolate. That one is a keeper.

Sharon said...

I agree...cookies and chocolate are winners. The rest are lousy.

Lindsey said...

I think the best people to ask are those without kids or who have small kids! I am buying pasta (I know random fundraiser) from one neighbor and a chocolate cheesecake from another and I'm cool with it because I haven't been hit by the fundraiser train yet. Although I did accidentally send the cheesecake neighbor to the pasta neighbor's house and she was like "Lindsey, do you know how many fundraisers my three kids bring home??" LOL. But I'm probably a bad person to ask because my full time job used to be in fundraising so I don't mind being asked, haha.

Lindsey said...

I remember doing door-to-door fundraisers when I was little and people would order things and when I came to collect they would have forgotten about it. I always hated those. I don't mind donating an item or service for an auction but I otherwise hate fundraisers. I don't blame you for not doing it!

Liz said...

I'm with you no fundraisers - however, having High School kids drive 4-wheelers up and down a parade route selling water was one I liked.