Saturday, June 1, 2013

I thought this stage was over

I feel like the blog has been missing something lately and today I realized what it was lacking; a good story about the kids.  Well Devin did something today that was quite blog worthy.  He choked on a penny.  Yes my 5 1/2 year old child choked on money, not my 3 year old my 5 year old.  I really thought the oral phase was over but I find myself constantly telling Devin to get stuff out of his mouth.  It's more than a little annoying.  What really concerns me about today's incident is that he was too scared to tell me what happened.  Graham ran into my room telling me that Devin had hurt himself.  So I went to check it out and sure enough Devin seemed like he was in a lot of pain.  When I asked him what happened he said, "I don't know."  After a few minutes of sobbing he calmed down and told me his story.  Here it goes.

Devin: "I was just standing by my bookcase and a penny fell into my mouth."
Me: "Did you put the penny in your mouth?"
Devin: "No it just fell in and now my throat hurts."

I was pretty sure I was missing a big part of the story.  Like the part where Devin put the penny in his mouth forgot it was there and swallowed it.  But he was quite adamant he did not put the penny in his mouth.  Yeah, I'm not buying it but he seemed pretty shaken up by it so I was nice to him.  I just kept telling him, "Well this is why we don't put things in our mouth." over and over again.  He calmed down and I told him he would just poop it out so Devin then ran to the bathroom to go poop.  He was bound and determined to get that thing out of him.  He was really sad when I told him he would have to wait a few days to get it out of him.  Hopefully all these great life lessons will stick with him before he really hurts himself, wait he already has.  I just count myself lucky he's made it this far.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh man! Kids! They definitely keep life interesting!

Jalei & Lane said...

Oh goodness! That is crazy. Glad he's ok.

Emily Hamilton said...

I shouldn't be laughing but this story is hilarious. I am glad he is alright. :) Abby is bound to do this.

Lindsey said...

Scary but his story is hilarious!!